Saturday, May 18, 2019

2019 Visit


It’s Saturday lunchtime and I’m having a quiet day at the Bishop’s House. He and Brenda have gone to part of a funeral for friends of theirs some three hour drive away and Ngata is out at Drummies. So Leruo and I have the house to ourselves and I am making the most of the quiet to get ready for tomorrow.

I arrived safely on Thursday after a journey marred by screaming babies on the first plane, and by my first ever check by customs at OR Tambo airport. I did however discover how to get alcohol bought at a Duty Free shop in England through the security check in Dubai. Knowing how much Brenda likes Amarula, a South African form of cream liquer, I couldn’t resist buying her a bottle of Strawberries and Cream Baileys, especially after I tasted a sample. English summer in a bottle which is only being made until the end of June.

Friday I was here alone too, having had a long sleep. I sewed up a jumper that I’d knitted for a child and sorted out readings for services I shall be doing, especially for the Diocesan Council on June 8th. The Council is similar to our Diocesan Synod, but made up of all clergy and church wardens. It always begins with a Eucharist at which there is a homily. I am to preach and preside on this occasion. The Province is beginning to take Safeguarding seriously, and +Steve has invited the Provincial Safeguarding Officer to come and address the Council. So I wanted to find readings to fit the theme of the day, which of course meant thinking about the content of the homily.

Sunday, tomorrow, I am to preach and preside at Khuma, which is a township not far from Klerksdorp. I know which roads lead to Khuma, but finding the church might be another matter! I did a day training for those in the early years of ordination some years ago and know what it looks like, and that it is on a corner. But there are quite a few of those!

Plans for my time here include a day training for Lay Ministers at Boikhutso and the Sunday service there. My final Sunday will be at the Cathedral and then Matlwang. Not quite sure about the other Sunday. There is also work to be done in the Office on the Diocesan website. I shan’t be bored!

I am told that driving has become less safe here. So methinks I need to take extra care as I drive around, trying to change gear in the automatic car and putting the wipers on to turn right or left!! 

4 comments:

  1. Pleased to see this is up and running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. So glad you safe and sound. Sounds as though you have a busy time planned. Do you manage to get to visit any townships or the local school? I am wondering whether that may be a little risky. Things are good here. I am recovering slowly but surely. I have a walk every day and go a little longer each day. Look forward to hearing from you soon. Coralie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is busy, and yes I get to spend time in townships. Khuma is one such. The Cathedral is another. Best to send messages via Messenger if you have it.

      Delete