Saturday, May 25, 2019

Saturday


I think everyone here got up later than intended, except Ngata. She had to be at the collection point for her Drummies competition at 6.30!




After the Diseko traditional Saturday cooked breakfast, Brenda and I set out for the Diocesan Centre where the Diocesan Youth Fellowship were holding a Mothers’ Day celebration for all the ladies in the Diocese. The Church keeps Mothering Sunday on the traditional Sunday in Lent, but the secular event was on 12th May. So this was a bit delayed. I was the only white person there and it was all in Setswana. But as it started with a Eucharist I had a fair idea what was going on. It was the first time I have ever been beside Brenda to receive Communion, and it was very special for that. I was greeted by name by so many people that I really did feel a part of what was going on. After a breakfast of banana, orange and African porridge I decided to leave and try to find Ngata’s competition.

Ngata’s large group was on last, so I came home first and returned to see a few groups before hers. Flags and batons were flying everywhere, most were caught but not all. The girls marched, moved and threw in time to very loud music and the cheers of their supporters in the crowd, each group of supporters moving out when their job was done to let the next group in. All this took place in the open air, to the back drop of a rapidly setting sun. The prizegiving followed, no doubt in the dark!

Tomorrow I'm in Alabama, which was originally the coloured township for Klerksdorp, so the language is English. That will be a nice change! It's on the other side of the N12 to Jouberton, so easy to find. Today has been Africa Day, not that you would have noticed, and tomorrow is Anglican Communion Sunday, so fitting that I am here.

2 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of Ngata. Do you know who won?
    Enjoy tomorrow! At least it'seems in English! 😀

    ReplyDelete