Monday, May 27, 2019

Sunday and Monday




Sunday morning saw me up not too early to go to Alabama, the coloured township for Klerksdorp.  As English is the language of the worship it was good to be able to sing the hymns and know exactly what was happening. As it was Anglican Communion Sunday, it was appropriate that I was representing the Church in Wales as well as Lichfield Diocese in the Church of England to the Church of Southern Africa! In some ways though, it was strange as they use Sounds of Living Waters as their hymn books. Took me back to the 1970s!!

Today, Monday, I met up with Magda Brits, the former priest in charge of St Mary’s, Potch. I’ve known her since I did her ordination retreat some years ago. She was the only white priest in the Diocese, tho’ there is one at college now. A year ago her husband died suddenly in the UK. Fortunately she had just arrived to spend some time with him, but then he had a massive heart attack. One year on, and she is still struggling to sort things out and come to terms with what has happened. She has resigned from her post here, and is going to live for now in Pretoria, where most of her family are. However, she also thinks that the UK may be a better place for her, as she has some good friends there, and one of her sons is there. I listened as she poured her heart out and made sure she had my contact details. Do pray for her, for wisdom in the decision making and healing for her in the second year of her bereavement which has only just started. A special prayer on June 1st would be good – the first anniversary of the funeral.

No photos this time – I will try to do better next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment