Sunday, June 2, 2019

Friday to Sunday



Well, what a weekend! Friday was pretty straight forward and I arrived safely with my host.

Saturday, I got to Boikhutso church in plenty of time and setup the necessary for the PowerPoint presentations - not logistically easy when there is one extension lead, very few power points and the ladies doing the catering need it for the urn! However, we got there. And then the Lay Ministers began to arrive, and arrive, and arrive. I also discovered that there was a Women’s Desk meeting of 40 women at the same time in the small room at the back of the church. And then more Lay Ministers arrived. In all there were 120 of them. This made it almost impossible for the catering ladies to cope, and they had to rush out to the shops and get more food. They had been told our numbers would be around 50. Communication, organisation and returning forms on time is not one of the strengths of this Diocese, or possibly any African Diocese. The Archdeacon, parish priest and churchwarden all let their displeasure be known! The silver lining to this big black cloud was that 120 Ministers wanted to come to be trained.

I was worried that people would not be able to sustain concentration for the four hours in which there was no decent break – I was following orders, not using my instincts on this! I was told that if I gave them a break they would not come back. But I needed a break, let alone them. So, I gave them a (stretchy!) 10-minute break, and they all came back! They really did engage well with what I offered, and in the 2 sections after the break in particular it was evident that the Spirit was moving. I was shattered at the end of it, but hugely satisfied, fulfilled and grateful for all the prayer support.

And then it was Sunday, and even more chaotic. I was up at 6 to write my sermon – having stayed up to watch Liverpool win whichever European Cup it was. I arrived at the church at 7.30 for the 8.00 service so that as usual I could get myself organised. By 7.50 there were 3 of us and 2 servers. A few people began to arrive, but the incense could not be found. But by 8.15 I’d had enough and, as President, insisted we start the service without the incense. We were also minus an Archdeacon who was coming to admit Church Councils to Office. Before I began the service, I explained that the lack of incense was not some strange English aberration, but a practical matter and the roof would not fall in and we could still sing heartily! The Archdeacon did eventually arrive, announcing that he had asked for the service to be at 9 because of the distances involved for some in travel!

Archdeacon Mafisa and a Church Council
Canon Ngidi and members of the Women's Desk
Just (well, in the preceding ¾ hour!) before the Peace two women were admitted as Members of the Boikhutso Women’s Desk and the Church Councils were admitted to Office. One priest was very embarrassed when her Council was called forward and no-one came!

After the Peace all proceeded as usual. We eventually got safely to the end of the service, but only after I’d dragged the Parish Priest to the front. “Do you want me to translate?” he asked. “No” I replied. “We are going to sing ‘Happy Birthday’ to you!!”


The Assistant Priest at Boikhutso is Fr Edward Leboe, one of the younger priests here. If memory serves me right, he is one of the priest’s whose theological training was paid for by Lichfield Diocese. He had a major operation in April to remove a brain tumour, and there has also been bleeding on the brain. He is up and about but very obviously not well. I suppose it is early days, but prayers for him would be good.



Outside the Church Office after the service on Sunday
I eventually got back to Klerksdorp around 4pm, tired but very satisfied with my weekend’s work.


1 comment:

  1. A very busy weekend but seems to have gone well and been appreciated. May the seeds which have been sown now be nurtured and prosper in the future!

    ReplyDelete