Friday, October 12, 2018

Safe arrivals.

At long last I am on the net and have managed to start a new blog, having failed to get into either of the previous ones.

The flight here had it's moments - I was given 3 boarding passes for two flights. I have a feeling she might have been new to the job. Then in Jo'burg I couldn't find my phone as I was getting off the plane and had the crew searching for it, only to discover it had slid into the very bottom of my bag.

+Steve met me at the airport, but he was catching a flight to Cape Town so another priest was driving me to Potch(efstroom) where I was to stay for one night. I have known him for many years and he is not very chatty. Consequently I could not keep my eyes open. I was in bed by 7.30 (6.30UK time!!!) When I woke the next morning it was daylight so I knew it must be at least 6am. For the first time I am very conscious of being 5,000ft above sea level. But I am sure I will soon acclimatise, especially as every one here is taking extra care of me. Yesterday, Thursday I came to Klerksdorp and am staying with the Bishop and his family. Home! However, that evening there was a phone call to say the Diocesan Centre had been broken into - by a 10 and 12 year old. Fortunately the alarm warned them off and little damage was done and nothing stolen. They also managed to catch the boys. Their families had only moved into the street earlier this week. Not a good start.

I have my first assignments - I am presiding and preaching on Sunday in Potch to help cover for the priest who is in the UK following the death of her husband up in the Durham area. Then on Monday or Tuesday I am meeting the friend whose wedding I came to in 2016 for lunch and a catch up. 

Tomorrow, Saturday, we are going to the Pretoria Diocesan Gala Dinner. That's a long drive. But I have been excused the MU Festival Eucharist at 7am - yes A.M. - in Zeerust, another long drive away. The current plan is that Steve and Brenda will go there; then come home for a shower and change of clothes  and then off to Pretoria. We shall be back late, and  have to get up in time to do services at 8 (+S) and 9 (me) on Sunday.

It's now time for a 'Welcome' Braai.

No comments:

Post a Comment