Sunday, October 28, 2018

Sunday 28th October 2018

Oh what a day! Having spent Friday at Bona Bona to write my sermon, I was increasingly not happy with it through Saturday, and at 4am on Sunday was awake with a new one in my head. So I got up made a cup of coffee and went back to sleep. When the alarm went off at 6 I got up and made some notes. By 6.30 I was happy, listened to Taverner's 'Celtic Blessing' (Deep peace of the running wave) which has been played at every significant occasion in my ministry, and just entered afresh into the peace and serenity of Bona Bona and God's peace. And that never left me - so thank you to everyone who had or was praying.

Just after 9 the long procession made it's way into the Banqueting Hall, which was rapidly filling up as people arrived from all over the Diocese, for some a 4 hour journey. Around 9.50 I got up to preach, and gulped as I saw all the people in front of me, standing room only by this time. I took the microphone in hand so that I could move easily to engage everyone. Canon Guma then gave a short translation of the sermon.

Now it was time to take a deep breath. There had been no rehearsal so I had no idea what was to happen, or what I would have to swear in the Oaths. But the Dean, the Very Revd Christopher Seupe came and led me by the hand to the centre of the staging, where he the citation, stating why the Bishop and Chapter had decided to confer the Canonry on me. Fortunately I knew what was coming as the Bishop had asked me to check its accuracy and English the day before!

Then it was  over to the Bishop for the legal part of the ceremony and the swearing of the Oaths of Episcopal and Canonical. I, the Bishop and the Dean had to sign the paper but they also had to be witnessed. It was especially appropriate that the Bishop's Chaplain for the day, the Revd Aaron Maleke did it as he was one of the small group that met me at the airport the very first time I came.


 I then had to kneel - fortunately there was a prayer desk for support! - while the Bishop read out the official document making me a Canon. He held both my hands and the document, and I eyeballed him. A very special moment. Chris then put the cope around my shoulders and the Bishop prayed for me and for my family, and then formally blessed me using the words of the Celtic Blessing as an introduction. Another special moment. 





Then the Bishop led me to the front and presented the new Canon to the Diocese.
(They have their own way of pronouncing Canon - Ca-non! I'm getting used to it!)
I was so much happier than I look in this photo, but its the only one I have.

After this the service progressed on its merry way, eventually finishing around 1.15, yes that is 1.15, and not a mistake for 11.15!! Outside the temperature had risen to 34, and as all the doors in the Hall were open, it wasn't far off that inside. We were all melting and downing bottles of water

At the service were many friends, but among them were Canon Guma, Pulane and Mpho who came to stay in Clayton parish in 2004. It was good to be together again, even if only for this photo. It was also good to get back to the AC of the Bishop's car and eventually home to a change of clothes.
The rest of the day was spent relaxing with some of the Bishop's friends, and receiving their congratulations. By the end of it I was absolutely shattered, but have had a good night's sleep thanks to the electric fan that Brenda provided and which ran all night!

Today it's back to earthly things, and all that I need to do to get ready to leave tomorrow. I gather it's cold in the UK, but I cam e armed with a thermal vest, thin teeshirts, a long sleeved jumper and a fleece. So hopefully I shall be warm enough!










4 comments:

  1. What an amazing day. My sincerest congratulations to you. Mind you dont expect any special treatment on your return. Have a safe and uneventful journey. Do wrap up as it is 2 degrees here this morning brrrrr. See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a day indeed.
    Glad it all went so well.
    Hope you are ready for the long journey home. Safe travels - I'll try to follow your progress as always!!!
    xx ☺💛☺

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing and fulfilling day! I loved the long term links back to 2004 and the Taverner continuity of Celtic Blessing. Could you send me a few good photos asap for Lichfield publicity? Good work Ca-non.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog - the photos are just magical. Thank you for sharing, and more hearty congratulations!

    ReplyDelete