Thursday, October 18, 2018

Thursday - 18.10.18

I've been with the Bishop and his family for a week now and I just don't know where the time has gone. The one new thing I haven't mentioned is getting in and out of the house. Leruo has acquired an Alsatian dog since last year and we are not the best of pals! If the dog is locked in one part of the garden I can't get to the pool, and if he is the other I can't get to the car! At one point the dog seemed to have calmed down, but then he tried to make a lunge at me and I was very grateful for the Bishop's quick reactions.

Yesterday and today I have been working on the Family Day Service Programme (service book). As a consequence, a lot of the typing is finished. I was surprised how easier it was to type the Setswana than in previous years. I was typing one hymn which was much harder, and so was not surprised to discover it was in Sotho!

Today began early, with Morning Prayer for St Luke's Day at 7.30 in the Bishop's Chapel, at which we not only gave thanks for Luke and his ministry, but for it's continuance today when peoples of different backgrounds are brought together, and medicine heals. We gave especial thanks for those doctors and nurses who made my visit possible. The Gospel for the Eucharist talked of offering hospitality to God's workers, and that was particularly pertinent as well.  This was followed by a working breakfast with the choir master, Richard, in charge of the music for FD. I was delighted, as that  meant that I had all the hymns and all the information I need to type the service. Richard then had to go to work - he is a Head Teacher in a primary school in Potch. I spent the rest of the day typing. By 3.30 I was scrolling up and down a page, seeing nothing. So I came home and promptly fell asleep. It is definitely getting warmer down here, so more tiring days in prospect. But it is forecast to be cooler in the middle of next week. 

I am at St Mary's, Potch, again this weekend, so will need to look at the lessons and think of something to say about them. I must admit I am thinking more about Family Day and Blind Bartimaeus! There are usually in the region of 1000 people there - rather a large number to preach too. And then of course, I am to made an Honorary Canon of the Diocese straight after the sermon. I may have a little respite as an English sermon is usually translated into Setswana.

I do have a few pictures to share, but so far all attempts to upload them have failed. The process gets so far and then stops. But I will keep trying! I also hope I;ve remedied the problem with the size of the print for the last blog. Again, I tried and tried to change it but it wasn't having it!!

Thanks for emails, etc. It is good to hear from home from time to time.






No comments:

Post a Comment